Oman Fiber Optic has reported that its state-of-the-art plant to manufacture fibre optic cables will be ready for commissioning by November this year.
The pioneer fibre optic cable manufacturer is investing OMR13 million for two plants — one with an installed capacity to produce 14,000-18,000 kilometres of cable and another for the manufacture of 1.6 million fibre kilometres per annum — and other facilities, Mohammed Al Barashdy, chief executive officer of Oman Fiber Optic, told journalists.
The cable plant was commissioned in March 2014, while the fiber optic cable plant will be ready in November, he added, while addressing the media to launch the company's new logo.
Oman Fiber Optic chief noted that the company used to produce 350,000 fibre kilometres per annum before a massive fire destroyed the entire plant. "After the fire, we have decided to build a completely new plant. We have a technological tie-up with Sumitomo. It took ten months for the company to build the cable plant."
Apart from fibre optic cable plant, the facilities coming up at Rusayl include a headquarters and warehouse. Proceeds from insurance claim and additional capital injected by stakeholders helped the company to generate the required fund for the massive expansion.
Al Barashdy said the company will sell 35 per cent of its output in the domestic market, with the remaining 65 per cent for export markets. The company's export markets include Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), Arab countries, Iran, central Asia and Eastern Europe.